For a couple of years now I have had several ideas for whimsical Christmas trees. I went with my friend Margaret, visiting me from NY, to Homegoods. They had some really interesting trees and I left there inspired.
Most of their trees were at least 4 ft. I adored the texture and the organic nature.
Finally, after the visit to Homegoods I decided to draw plans and make one of the trees I had been thinking about. I already have several trees of various sizes, so a tree that takes up floor space is out. Of course, what appears to be simple, fast and easy at the start never is. I sketched my plan, and then drew actual dimensions based on what materials were easily available, and would fit where I was going to place it. Foremost, it had to be inexpensive to make, yet look nice, and also be fairly easy to craft. KBJ gathered my materials from the dowel department at the local box store and then my idea for my flat tree begins to come to life. Starting with a 1″sq x48″long flat poplar dowel, I laid out the spacing of the 1/2″ round dowel “branches” on the floor to see if I liked the proportions I had sketched out. With a bit of twerking, I did.
Next the holes in the square dowel had to be drilled. For this, a drill press and a good clamp is going to give you the best results. After measuring and marking the dowel, KBJ did the drilling for me, using a 1/2 drill bit, which was the size of the dowels.
Unfortunately, the hole was too tight to allow the dowel to pass readily through the hole, not entirely unexpected. However, the problem is the next drill size, even a mere 1/16″ more would leave the dowels wobbly in the hole. AND, there are no drill bits readily available in the sizes needed. So, what to do. First KBJ used a T-handle reamer to enlarge the holes a bit. Then I sanded. Using my small electric sander with semi-coarse paper, I rolled the dowel while I sanded up and down the length until the dowel finally went in snug. Unfortunately, by spray painting it, the dowels will probably not be removable, which was my original idea, so that it could be stored in a space of a few inches. That being said the new permanent version can be stored in the back of a storage area as well. For this reason, my final version ended up being 4 ft high, and 32″ at the bottom branch. I had originally planned on 7 branches, but decided on 6 after I put it together, for a more balanced look.
And this is what I did with it……….
Tomorrow I will start with getting the trees set up, and really get a move on with decorating. I so look forward to evenings when all the tree and mantle lights get turned on, and sweet memories flow. Thanks for stopping by. laters, charisse